Osteoarthritis (OA) is the most common chronic condition of the joints. OA can affect any joint, but it occurs most often in knees, hips, lower back and neck, small joints of the fingers and the bases of the thumb and big toe.
PATHOPHYSIOLOGY of OA
In normal joints, a firm, rubbery material called cartilage covers the end of each bone. Cartilage provides a smooth, gliding surface for joint motion and acts as a cushion between the bones. In OA, the cartilage breaks down, causing pain, swelling and problems moving the joint. As OA worsens over time, bones may break down and develop growths called spurs. Bits of bone or cartilage may chip off and float around in the joint. In the body, an inflammatory process occurs and cytokines (proteins) and enzymes develop that further damage the cartilage. In the final stages of OA, the cartilage wears away and bone rubs against bone leading to joint damage and more pain.
Although OA occurs in people of all ages, osteoarthritis is most common in people older than 65.
- increasing age (usually over 65yrs)
- previous joint injury
- overuse of the joint
- weak thigh muscles
- pain and stiffness, particularly first thing in the morning or after resting
- Limited range of motion or stiffness that goes away after movement
- Clicking or cracking sound when a joint bends
- Mild swelling around a joint, especially after extended activity
- Sore or stiff joints – particularly the hips, knees, and lower back – after inactivity or overuse
OA pain, swelling or stiffness may make it difficult to perform ordinary tasks at work or at home. Simple acts like tucking in bed sheets, opening a box of food, grasping a computer mouse or driving a car can become nearly impossible. When the lower body joints are affected, activities such as walking, climbing stairs and lifting objects may become difficult. When finger and hand joints are affected, osteoarthritis can make it difficult to grasp and hold objects, such as a pencil, or to do delicate tasks, such as needlework.
Treatment with Homeopathy
- Homeopathy is very proficient in managing the symptoms of OSTEOARTHRITIS and has an excellent success rate in OSTEOARTHRITIS. The treatment is aimed at minimizing pain, optimizing function and reducing disability
- The patient can get rid of the painkillers and take homeopathic medicines regularly without any side effects. Homoeopathic treatment for OSTEOARTHRITIS provides holistic wellbeing to the patient.
- With homeopathic treatment one can enjoy immense relief from living under constant fear of joint damage and disability as the medicines prevent the fast progress of the disease.
Frequently Asked Questions:
The pain, reduced mobility, side effects from medication and other factors associated with osteoarthritis can lead to negative health effects not directly related to the joint disease.
Obesity precede OA and is not its secondary consequence. Obese persons have a higher risk of developing OA that is progressive in its course.
In obese people, weight reduction is shown to be an effective primary as well as secondary disease prevention strategy. 5% reduction in weight decreases the risk for symptomatic OA by 50%
The diagnosis of OA is essentially clinico- radiological. Early OA may not show radiological changes, while only 50-60% of subjects with OA by radiograph are clinically symptomatic